An Affordable family vacation is often the most vivid as one matures as the stress of having paid too much is diminished. Even though everything is getting more expensive, you are still able to create those unforgettable travel memories for your children.
One of the best strategies to save money and afford vacations is to travel in groups. Going on a trip with close friends or extended family members helps you cut travel costs dramatically. Consider these tips for cheap family vacations while staying within your household budget guidelines.
1. Save on costs of traveling to your destination. Depending on how far away the desired destination is and how many people are in your travel group, consider renting a van.
This allows all of you to share costs of the gas to get to and from your destination. Even if you are traveling with just two other couples and no kids, you will save big when you all travel together with everyone having the mindset that an affordable family vacation is worth the effort.
2. Rent a place to stay as a group. If you are traveling together in a large group, consider renting a large place to stay together at your destination. For example, did you know you can rent entire houses when you vacation? Even large condos that accommodate 10, 12 or even more people are readily available. You will be more comfortable with the convenience of a full kitchen, maybe a swimming pool and many other amenities. Yet, the costs will be far less than staying at a hotel.
The best way to save money is When you rent these types of accommodations for your large travel group. Sharing this cost will cut both your food and lodging expenses and help you to stay true to your desire to have an affordable family vacation.
3. Chip in together and save money on groceries. Shop at a local grocery store for items on sale. As you know, a big expense when you are attempting cheap family vacations is the food. But if you stay where you have a kitchen, or at least a kitchenette with a microwave and refrigerator, you will cut your budget family vacation food costs in half or more.
Yes, eat out for a couple of special activities when you are out and about all day. Otherwise, save money on food by eating at your home away from home. This affordabel family vacation is more so than you realize. And if you really do the math, your food bill on vacation will not be all that much higher than your food bill at home.
4. When you do dine out, take advantage of restaurants where kids eat free. It is money in your pocket when you do not have to pay for your kids’ meals if you are going to buy yours anyways.
5. Babysit for each other’s kids. When you are on a budget family vacation with other families, take turns babysitting for each other’s children so each couple gets a night out alone during the trip. There are no babysitting costs and every one is happy. Depending on the ages of the kids going on the trip, there might even be a responsible teen who is happy to hang out with the kids and babysit.
6. Get group rates when you take part in tourist activities. Many tourist attractions will reduce their admission rates for large groups and save money by taking advantage of these group rates.
7. Before you leave, check online to see if the attractions you want to visit have “free days.” Many museums and some amusement parks offer a day during the week when you may visit without charge.
Even though your household budget might be crunched, consider traveling as a group with your friends or family members’ families in what we have termed here a budget family vacation.
Enjoy cut-rate deals on vehicle travel, house and condo rental, bulk groceries, and some tourist activities when you travel in a large group. Yes, you can take an affordable family vacation next year while enjoying your friends and family members at the same time.
Please share this article using the buttons below or the top right of this page and be sure to sign up for my informative and free newsletter above on the right there. Thank you.
Back from Affordable Family Vacation to Household Budgeting home.